- Beaches Water Quality
- Biomedical Waste
- Blue Green Algae Safety Tips
- Body Piercing
- Drinking Water Programs
- Environmental Health Training Opportunities
- Environmental Public Health Data
- Environmental Public Health Tracking Network
- Environmental Toxicology Program
- Food Hygiene
- Group Care
- Lead Poisoning Prevention Program
- Mobile Homes and Recreational Vehicle Parks
- Mold and Your Health
- Onsite Sewage Disposal
- Rabies Prevention Program
- Sanitary Nuisances
- Sharps Collection Program
- Swimming Pools, Spas and Bathing Places
- Tanning Facilities
- Preventing Mosquito-Borne Illness
900 University Boulevard North, Suite 300
Jacksonville, Florida 32211
The Food Hygiene Program ensures food establishments operate in a safe and sanitary manner in compliance with all applicable State of Florida regulations. Food service facilities such as schools, bars, movie theatres, fraternal/civic organizations, adult day cares, limited food service operations, and assisted living facilities are inspected on a regular basis to assist in the prevention of food-borne illness outbreaks in those facilities.
Food service facilities under FDOH regulation must obtain an Operating Permit from this agency to begin operation. The permit is renewed annually. Each facility must submit both the state applications form (35 KB PDF) and county application form (46 KB PDF) that are provided here for your convenience.
The permitting requirements for a new food service facility are different for each type of business. Due to the wide range of possible requirements, any facility beginning the permitting process should contact our Food Hygiene Program at 904-253-1280 for specific instructions.
Restaurants and Grocery Stores
In Florida, restaurants and grocery stores are not regulated by the Florida Department of Health. If you have a concern or complaint about one of these establishments, you will need to contact the agency that oversees that facility:
- Restaurants in Florida are licensed by the Department of Business and Professional Regulation. Visit their website or call 850-487-1395.
- Most grocery stores and convenience stores in Florida are permitted by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Visit their website or call 1-800-435-7352.
For more information, call 904-253-1280 or visit the Florida Department of Health web site at www.flhealth.gov.