900 University Boulevard North
We receive between 600 and 750 requests for death certificates each month. Death certificates can be provided by our office for all deaths that occurred in any county from 2009 to present.
Who can obtain a copy of a death certificate?
Without the cause of death listed:
- Anyone may request a copy of a death certificate without the cause of death showing on the certificate
With the cause of death listed:
- To obtain a copy of a death certificate with the cause of death showing on the certificate, you have to be an immediate family member. This includes a spouse, brother or sister, son or daughter, grandparent or grandson or granddaughter; or
- Beneficiary of a deceased person’s life insurance policy (must provide documentation); or
- Estate administrator (must provide documentation)
How to obtain a copy of a death certificate:
Visit our main office:
900 University Blvd. N.
We are open Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:45 pm.
Mail a request to:
Office of Vital Statistics
Florida Department of Health in Duval County
900 University Blvd. N.
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Order via telephone:
You may order birth and death certificates by phone with a credit card by calling VitalChek at 1-877-297-9125. All major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®. The VitalChek fax number is 1-888-985-2842.
Order via internet:
Online orders are processed through an independent company that we have partnered with - VitalChek Network, Inc.
VitalChek can be reached either through its website, www.vitalchek.com, or by phone at 1-877-297-9125. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.
What Information is needed?
- One (1) valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license, State ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, passport or military ID. All identification must be valid (can not be expired.) For mailed requests, please provide a clear, readable photocopy.
- The completed Certificate Application Form
- You also need to provide the person’s
- Full name
- Date of birth or date of death
- County of birth
- Mother’s full name including maiden name
- Father’s full name
How soon may I expect a copy?
Your request will be processed within 10 to 14 business days from the day we receive it from you.
What is the cost to obtain a Death Certificate?
- $15 for one copy
- $10 for each additional copy requested at the same time as the original request for the same person
- All requests by mail should also include the certified mail fee of $5.54. Fees should be paid by money order or cashier's check (Do not send cash by mail)
- Walk-in customers may pay by cash, cashier’s check, money order or major credit card (except American Express). Credit cards are accepted until 4:30 p.m. We do not accept personal checks or business checks.