900 University Boulevard North
Copies of birth certificates are requested for identification, to prove citizenship and for other purposes. The State of Florida maintains the original copies of birth certificates from Duval County as well as the rest of the state. We provide you with a certified certificate that you can be used for legal purposes.
We receive a surprising number of requests for birth and death certificates from other states. We do not have those records. For copies you, must contact the state in which the birth or death occurred.
Who can obtain a copy of a birth certificate?
- Individuals 18 and older may obtain their own certificate
- Parents or guardians who present court documents showing legal custody
- Attorneys representing children and adolescents under 18
How to obtain a copy of a birth certificate:
Visit our main office:
900 University Blvd. N.
We are open Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:45 pm.
Mail a request to:
Office of Vital Statistics
Florida Department of Health in Duval County
900 University Blvd. N.
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Order via telephone:
You may order birth and death certificates by phone with a credit card by calling VitalChek at 1-877-297-9125. All major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®. The VitalChek fax number is 1-888-985-2842.
What Information is needed?
- One (1) valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license, State ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, passport or military ID. All identification must be valid (can not be expired.) For mailed requests, please provide a clear, readable photocopy.
- The completed Certificate Application Form
Birth Certificate Application
- You also need to provide the person’s
- Full name
- Date of birth or date of death
- County of birth
- Mother’s full name including maiden name
- Father’s full name
How soon may I expect a copy?
Your request will be processed within 10 to 14 business days from the day we receive it from you.
What is the cost to obtain a Birth Certificate?
- $15 for one copy
- $10 for each additional copy requested at the same time as the original request for the same person
- All requests by mail should also include the certified mail fee of $5.54. Fees should be paid by money order or cashier's check (Do not send cash by mail)
- Walk-in customers may pay by cash, cashier’s check, money order or major credit card (except American Express). Credit cards are accepted until 4:30 p.m. We do not accept personal checks or business checks.